By Maureen Coulter
Nov. 6, 2014
A grease fire traveling through the exhaust system sent flames soaring through the roof of Burger King on Nov. 5.
Firefighters had the fire extinguished within minutes of their arrival.
A call came to the Charlottetown Fire Department at 12:35 p.m. after a fire started in the kitchen.
Employees had evacuated the building by the time the firetrucks arrived.
“We are just following up now to make sure there was no extension of the fire,” said deputy fire chief Tim Mamye.
There will be a cleanup done for the inside, not as a result of the fire, but from the activation of the sprinkler system, said Mamye.
It was more of a housekeeping issue, said Mamye about the possible cause of the fire.
As of 5 p.m. Nov. 5, the franchise remained close. The owner, Franchise Management Inc., could not be reached for comment.